PBJ PLEA IN TOWSON, MD
If you have committed a crime and are concerned about the harsh penalties that could be involved, working with an experienced criminal defense lawyer can help you fight for less severe charges. Many Towson attorneys will push for a plea that can keep you from serving jail time as long as you abide by specific requirements.
What is Probation Before Judgment (PBJ)?
Probation Before Judgment is a deferred adjudication that offers defendants the opportunity to either have their case dismissed or to avoid formal conviction as long as:
a) they plead “guilty” or “no contest” to the charges they receive, and
b) they follow the orders of the judge within the PBJ assessment.
What are the Common Conditions of PBJ?
Avoiding a conviction is always ideal, but it doesn’t come without a cost. In order for the PBJ to be upheld, the judge will make a list of requirements that you must follow for a specified period of time. Requirements that must be followed can include:
- Performing community service
- Attending addictions treatment or rehabilitation
- Paying fines and/or restitution
- Attending compliance hearings
- Refraining from certain activities or contact with certain persons
How Your Towson Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help
When you’re involved with any type of crime or unlawful behavior, it’s important to work with a reliable criminal defense attorney in Towson, MD. The responsibilities your lawyer will take on in your criminal case are:
- Advocating for your rights.
- Collecting all necessary information regarding your case in order to provide the best defense services possible.
- Ensuring you understand each step in your criminal case.
- Seeking a PBJ plea if you are eligible and working to prove you will not be a repeat offender.
- Making sure your judgment is fair to you.
- Confirming that the courts uphold their side of the plea deal.
The professional criminal defense attorneys at Albers & Associates are your best resource when you’ve committed a crime in Towson, MD and want to ensure a favorable outcome from your criminal trial. Contact us today for your free consultation for criminal defense services in Maryland.