Did You Slip and Fall? We can help.
Maryland slip and fall accidents commonly occur in stores, restaurants, and other places of business. In a slip and fall accident, a property owner is held liable for the injuries resulting from their failure to properly maintain their property. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Maryland, contact a Maryland personal injury lawyer immediately.
Albers & Associates has offices conveniently located in Columbia, Towson, Frederick, and Westminster, Maryland. Our offices service the entirety of Baltimore County, Carroll County, Frederick County, and Howard County, MD with top-rated and reviewed legal services.
What is a Slip and Fall Accident?
The first question most victims we deal with have is, “what exactly is a slip and fall accident?” In the state of Maryland, property owners are required, by law, to keep their property reasonably safe for those people who have a lawful reason to be on it. If those property owners do not, then there is a possibility for a slip-and-fall personal injury accident.
How to Prove a Slip-and-Fall Case
Going off of the definition of a slip and fall accident, you and your Maryland personal injury attorney need to establish two things: that the property owner did not keep their business reasonably safe, and that the victim had a lawful reason to be there. If you and your Maryland personal injury lawyer can establish these two things, then what you experienced was a true slip-and-fall accident. The real headache is trying to prove these things in a Maryland court of law.
Why Partner with a Maryland Personal Injury Attorney?
Personal injury law is extremely tricky. It’s there to protect you when you are injured by someone else, but you need to be able to understand how the law works in order to receive proper compensation. For this reason, you should seek-out and hire an experienced personal injury lawyer in Maryland with a proven track record and the experience to get you the settlement you deserve.
Research the attorney you are evaluating by looking at the reviews left by their clients, looking at their personal experience, and finally by meeting with the lawyer for a free consultation to see how they will present your case.
What to Expect During a Personal Injury Case
Personal injury cases generally take a long time to resolve. This is because they are so complex and there is such an involved discovery period. Each personal injury case in Maryland involved many steps, and each has activities which must be completed. For this reason, it’s crucial that you hire a Maryland attorney specializing in slip-and-fall injuries.
Personal Injury Case Timeline
- Meet with your Attorney. When you first meet with a Maryland personal injury attorney after your accident, you will go over what happened and your lawyer will collect all of the important information from you. It’s important to come prepared with the ability to recount all the events leading up to and following your accident.
- Begin the Lawsuit. The first document is usually a complaint or petition outlining your case against the defendant. After this initial filing, you and your Maryland personal injury lawyer will need to file many other forms and paperwork such as: summons, answers, claims, counterclaims, replies, and so on.
- Discovery Phase. The discovery process will include the gathering of information from you, your lawyer, witnesses, any researching documents, and anyone else involved with your accident. All the finer details should come out in this phase of the timeline. At this point, there should be no secret as to what happened.
- Pre-trial Resolutions. These “motions” resolve any questions involving your lawsuit and can sometimes resolve the litigation completely.
- Settlement. Most personal injury claims are resolved out of court. They often end in an agreed settlement for the personal-injuries sustained. In exchange for the settlement typically comes an agreement that the case will not be pursued any further.
- Trial. If a slip-and-fall personal injury case makes it to trial a judge or jury will examine the evidence and each party will have a chance to dispute. At the conclusion of the Maryland slip-and-fall trial, it will be determined if the defendant should be held responsible for any injury sustained during the slip-and-fall accident.
- Payment. If your personal injury case wins, it is at this point in time when you can collect damages.
Schedule a Free Carroll County Personal Injury Attorney Consultation
If you or a family member have been injured because of someone else’s careless or negligent acts, then call on us to schedule a free personal injury consultation.
If your injury prevents you from coming to our office in Westminster, Maryland, then we will come to you! Evening and weekend consultations are available, too.