TOWSON EXPUNGEMENT Attorneys
If you have committed a crime, you already know the unfortunate feeling of having a criminal record. The charges you receive can add up and if you’ve had trouble with the law multiple times, the weight of your criminal history and length of your record can feel like it’s impossible to carry. As legal professionals in Towson, MD, Albers & Associates can help you in getting records expunged so that you can lessen that weight.
How Can Having a Criminal Record Hurt Me?
Though having a criminal record can affect almost every aspect of your life, depending on the severity of your previous charges, here are some common ways that having a record can harm you and keep you from living a normal life:
- Employment: Many employers require criminal background checks before hiring a new employee, and if you have a criminal record they can legally decline to hire you.
- Child Custody: If you end up in a custody battle, your criminal record can limit your custody rights. This is especially common for those who have domestic abuse or violent acts on their record.
- Various Privileges: A criminal record can result in restrictions including the loss of driving privileges and the revocation of your rights to own a firearm.
What is Expungement?
If you have committed a crime in Maryland, you may have the option to have the record of an arrest or conviction erased in the eyes of the law. Expungement is the court-ordered process of “sealing” that record or removing the documentation that shows that the offense occurred.
Is My Crime Eligible for Expungement?
Unfortunately, there are some severe crimes that cannot be expunged from a criminal record. Some of the typical circumstances in which you are eligible to have a record expunged include:
- Your case was dismissed.
- You received Probation Before Judgment (PBJ).
- You were acquitted.
- Your case was transferred to juvenile court.
- The law surrounding your previous crime was changed and it is no longer a criminal offense.
- Your case was postponed indefinitely in a stet docket.
- The prosecution dropped the case during or before your trial.
How Can Albers & Associates Help?
At our Towson, MD law firm, we have had plenty of experience and successes with getting charges expunged from the criminal records of our clients. We’re dedicated to making sure your criminal charges don’t keep you from living a normal, happy, healthy life and will fight for you every step of the way.