Tips for Driving in Snow and Ice
Though it does not snow in Maryland as much as, say, Maine, snowstorms happen and if you are out driving in one, it is always best to be prepared. Fortunately, our firm has compiled a list of tips for winter driving safety. Please continue reading to learn more about how you can drastically decrease your chances of getting into a car accident.
- Always brake well before stop signs and traffic lights. If the roads are slippery and you wait too long to brake, you may skid past the sign/light and into an intersection.
- Travel slowly. This goes hand-in-hand with braking on time. The slower you travel, the easier it will be to control your vehicle, especially if you break into a skid.
- Always leave the house with at least half a tank of fuel. If you get stuck in a storm, you may have your car on for longer than you expected, and the last thing you need is to run out of gas.
- Bring supplies such as ice scrapers, flashlights, phone chargers, extra food and water, blankets, winter gloves, extra clothes, and anything else you may need for safety in case you are ever stuck in a storm.
- Ensure your tires have tread and are inflated
- Never brake as you go up an icy hill
- Stay far back from all other cars. If one stops short and you are too close behind, you may not have time to brake, especially since hard brakes can cause cars to skid in the snow
- Consider purchasing snow tires
- Call 911 if you are ever injured or involved in an accident
Though the above tips will keep you a great deal safer, sometimes accidents are simply unavoidable. If you were injured in a car accident due to the fault of another driver, there is a very good chance you will be entitled to financial compensation. However, there is a statute of limitations in place, so you must act soon.
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland is three years, which means you have three years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit. Do not make the mistake of waiting too long. Simply reach out to our experienced Maryland personal injury attorneys today.
Contact our experienced Maryland firm
If you have been injured in an accident and wish to speak with an attorney about your best course of action, contact the Albers & Associates today.
Albers & Associates is comprised of experienced personal injury, criminal defense, and family law attorneys. Our firm is proud to serve clients in Baltimore, Maryland. If you require strong legal representation that will fight to protect your future, contact the attorneys at Albers & Associates to schedule a consultation.