Falling victim to an accident can cause devastating damage. Apart from potentially life-changing injuries, you also have to deal with lost wages. When this happens to you, you might have trouble making ends meet.
For this reason, it’s crucial to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer to learn your rights. An attorney will help you determine the best course of action for your case.
What Are Lost Wages?
The term “lost wages” refers to income you didn’t earn because of an injury. You can recover lost earnings if you have to go to a hospital, medical appointment, or therapy session to address your recovery needs.
However, you have to prove the following to process lost wages claims:
- You were involved in an accident.
- You sustained injuries because of the said accident.
- Your injuries directly caused you to miss work.
- You lost income and benefits because you couldn’t work.
If you or anyone you know experience lost wages because of an accident, find a reliable personal injury lawyer immediately.
Accident Victim Rights
The first thing to note about falling victim to accidents is that you are entitled to compensation for the following:
- Lost wages and earning capacity
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Physical and mental pain and suffering
- Future living expenses
You need an experienced accident attorney to help you prove your injury and income losses. Remember, you need detailed records of injuries, medical expenses, and property damage. Without proof, you cannot hold another person legally responsible for the accident.
Lost Wages Coverage
When someone else’s negligence causes you injury and lost wages, below are some things you can request compensation for:
- Hourly wages: You can charge the wrongdoer for all the days you missed work. Multiply your missed days by your hourly rate to determine the amount. For instance, if you miss five days of eight-hour shifts earning $20 per hour, you can request an $800 reimbursement.
- Overtime: If you can prove that you work overtime regularly, you can include it in your claim. You can use past pay stubs as proof in court.
- Bonuses: If your injury costs you a missed bonus opportunity, you can request compensation for it. You can ask your employer for a report on the additional benefit you missed getting.
- Sick days: As an employee, you will first use your sick days after an accident. Ask for reimbursement for these days because you wouldn’t have used these benefits if you didn’t sustain injuries.
- Vacation days: If you end up using your vacation days to recover from an injury, you can request payment for them.
- Tips: You can include missed tips in your claim as long as you can prove how much you usually get. Courts will accept regular bank account deposits as proof.
- Perks: If your company pays you for your car or cellphone use, you can include these particulars in your claim.
Steps to Overcome Insurance Challenges
It may seem overwhelming to deal with all the paperwork for your accident and lost wages claims, but you can perform some tasks to simplify the process. Here are some ways to boost your chances of insurance approval:
- Show up for appointments: Only certified doctors can prove that your injuries prevent you from working. For this reason, it’s best to follow their instructions and keep your medical records for reference.
- Record your injuries and missed time from work: Once you get well enough, insurance companies will ask you for particulars about your time off your job. Make sure to keep track of it, so you won’t have to backtrack when you fill out the paperwork.
- Rest as much as you need. After an accident, take the time you need to heal. Insurance agencies will understand if you prioritize your recovery.
Find a Reliable Personal Injury Lawyer Near You
Falling victim to an accident can be a traumatizing experience. For this reason, you need a specialist on your side to process your claims.
Personal injury lawyers help injured individuals recover their damages, including lost wages. These experts will guide you in gathering necessary evidence and presenting them convincingly.
With offices in Baltimore, Columbia, Towson, Northern Virginia, Westminster, and Dundalk, Albers & Associates is here to help you with any questions you may have. Contact us, or call our experts at Albers & Associates at (443) 665-8030 to learn how we can aid you with a free consultation.The post Recovering Lost Wages Due to an Accident appeared first on Albers and Associates.