Rated on Google

Protective Orders

If you’ve been a victim of abuse, it can be very difficult to understand where to go from here. Luckily, there are caring and compassionate professionals that are here to assist you through the legal process in ensuring you get and stay protected from your abuser.


Protective orders are important in these cases, as they help keep you safe from additional harm. The lawyers at Albers & Associates can give you the guidance you need to file a protective order in Carroll County.

What is a Protective Order?

Protective orders are civil, judge-issued orders that are intended to keep a person from committing specific acts against others. There are commonly two parties involved in a protective order: a petitioner, who is the victim of abuse or who is seeking protection, and a respondent, which is the person who is alleged to have committed the abuse. The purpose of the order is to stop an abuser from harming a victim and protect the victim from future harm.

What is Considered Abuse?

In order to get a protective order against an abuser, you must first prove that an instance of what Maryland courts consider abuse has occurred. Here are the acts that qualify as abuse:

  • Serious physical/bodily harm
    • kicking
    • biting
    • choking
    • punching
    • shoving
    • stabbing
    • battery
  • Threat of serious physical/bodily harm
  • Mental injury to a child
  • Assault
  • Rape or sexual assault
  • Attempted rape or sexual assault
  • False imprisonment
  • Stalking
  • Shooting

Do I Need to be Related to my Abuser to File for a Protective Order?

In addition to proving that the abuse occurred, you must prove that you are one of the following:

  • A former or current spouse of the abuser.
  • A person who has a child with the abuser.
  • A person related by marriage, adoption, or blood to the abuser.
  • A person who has had a sexual relationship with the abuser within a year before filing.
  • A cohabitant of the abuser who is both engaging in a sexual relationship with the abuser and has lived with the abuser in the home for at least 90 days within one year before filing.
  • A parent, step-parent, or step-child that has lived with the abuser in the home for at least 90 days within one year before filing.
  • A vulnerable adult.

Need a Protective Order in Carroll County?

Filing for legal action against your abuser can be scary to do when you’re still dealing with the aftermath of abuse. Working with the professional attorneys at Albers & Associates can make the process easier and help you file for protection against your abuser. Contact us today for more information or to set up your free legal consultation.

Get Expert Legal Help

View Areas Served

Baltimore County Attorney: Arbutus (21227), Catonsville (21228, 21250), Cockeysville (21030, 21031, 21065), Dundalk (21222), Edgemere (21219), Essex (21221), Garrison (21055), Lansdowne (21227), Lochearn (21207), Lutherville (21093), Middle River (21220), Milford Mill (21244), Overlea (21236), Owings Mills (21117), Parkville (21234), Park Heights (21215), Pikesville (21208), Randallstown (21133), Reisterstown (21136), Rosedale (21237), Timonium (21093), Towson (21204), White Marsh (21162), Woodlawn (21207), and more.

Carroll County Attorney: Eldersburg (21784), Finksburg (21048), Hampstead (21074), Manchester (21102), Marriottsville (21104), Taneytown (21787), Union Bridge (21791), Westminster (21157, 21158), Mount Airy (21771), New Windsor (21776), Sykesville (21784), Woodbine (21797), Taneytown (21787), and more.

Harford County Attorney: Aberdeen (21001), Abingdon (21009), Bel Air (21014, 21015), Darlington (21034), Edgewood (21040), Forest Hill (21050), Jarrettsville (21084), Joppa (21085), Pylesville (21132), Whiteford (21160), White Hall (21161)

Howard County Attorney: Clarksville (21029), Columbia (21044), Cooksville (21723), Dorsey (21075), Elkridge (21075), Ellicott City (21043), Fulton (20759), Glenelg (21737), Glenwood (21738), Granite (21163), Hanover (21076), Highland (20777), Jessup (20794), Lisbon (21765), Marriottsville (21104), North Laurel (20723), West Friendship (21794), Woodbine (21797), Woodstock (21163), and more.

Montgomery County Attorney: Olney (20832), Damascus (20872), Laytonsville (20882), Silver Spring (20910), Clarksburg (20871), Gaithersburg (20878), Germantown (20876), Bethesda (20816), Chevy Chase (20815), and more.