Distracted driving is a very dangerous thing. In some ways, it can be just as dangerous as drinking and driving. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, distracted driving claimed 3,450 lives in 2016.
To ensure you aren’t involved in a car accident in Maryland due to distracted driving, let’s take a look at a few ways to minimize your distractions on the road.
Understand the 3 Types of Distractions
According to the CDC, there are 3 types of distracted driving you may face on the road:
- Visual: Anything that takes your eyes off the road.
- Manual: Anything that takes your hands off the wheel.
- Cognitive: Anything that takes your mental focus away from driving.
Texting and driving is considered one of the most dangerous distractions because it encompasses all three forms.
Leave Your Phone Alone!
According to the National Safety Council, the use of a cell phone was involved in over 1.5 million car crashes in 2017. In fact, the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety put out a study in January of this year that shows that texting while driving doubles your chance of getting into a car accident. Rather than risk your life and the lives of others, leave your phone alone while you drive.
To help with this…
- Set your GPS before you start driving or have your passenger handle it.
- Let your co-pilot handle the music, or create playlists in advance.
- Don’t text when you’re driving, and be sure to call people out when they’re texting and driving.
Secure the Vehicle Before Setting Off
Before you pull out of your parking space, make sure that you’re ready to go.
- Make sure that pets or children are properly secured in their safety harnesses before driving. In the event they need your attention, pull over on the side of the road before reaching into the back seat.
- Get your personal grooming out of the way before you start driving. Don’t worry, you look great.
- Keep drinks in cup holders and loose items secured in various containers so you won’t have to worry about them sliding around the car.
Were You in a Car Accident in Maryland?
If you were in a car accident in Essex, Westminster, Columbia, or anywhere else in Maryland, then you need the help of an expert Maryland car accident attorney like Ross W. Albers. He can help defend you and your future. Injuries, lost wages, and the suffering that comes with a car accident doesn’t have to ruin your life. A trusted personal injury lawyer can help you get back on track.