Maryland Personal Injury Attorney
As a former insurance adjuster in Maryland, Ross W. Albers understands how insurance companies operate. He has the experience and knowledge to get the most positive outcome possible in your personal injury case. The Law Office of Ross W. Albers are conveniently located in Westminster, Maryland and Columbia, Maryland, serving Carroll and Howard County and their surrounding areas.
Maryland personal injury cases are complex. As a former insurance adjuster, Ross W. Albers knows the research and meticulous review involved in resolving your case. Not only does Ross W. Albers know what it takes to win your case, he understands that being injured by another person’s negligence can have long-lasting personal and financial consequences for you and your family. He’s passionate about personal injury litigation and will work hard to negotiate with insurance defense attorneys at court so that you don’t have to.
Ross researches case law, interviews witnesses, reviews medical records, performs extensive and meticulous review of the evidence, and negotiates with the insurance defense attorneys and court.
From the initial interview to trial, Ross is there at every step and will ensure the best possible outcome for your personal injury case.
What to Expect During a Personal Injury Case
Personal injury cases generally take a long time to resolve. This is because they are so complex and because there is such an involved discovery period by which the legal teams access information from one another. There are also many steps during the process by which the legal teams may try to resolve issues prior to going to trial.
Personal Injury Case Timeline
- Meet with your Attorney. When you first meet with your attorney after an accident, you will go over what happened, they will collect all of the important information from you. Depending on how complicated the case is, this can be a short or long meeting. You should come prepared to recount all the events leading up to your accident.
- Begin the Lawsuit. Your attorney will explain and help with the paperwork required to file your case. The first document is usually a complaint or petition which outlines your case against the defendant. Following the initial filing, there are more rounds of paperwork that need to be addressed by you and your lawyer, such as: summons, answers, claims and counterclaims, reply, and so on.
- Discovery Phase. The discovery process encompasses not only you and your lawyer, but any persons involved with your accident, witnesses, and researching documents. Everything should come out in this phase and there should be no secret as to what happened. This process is usually the most lengthy and difficult.
- Pre-trial Resolutions. These “motions” resolve questions about your lawsuit and can sometimes resolve and terminate the litigation completely. There are many different types of motions, but they most often occur before the trial begins and are powerful enough to resolve it.
- Settlement. Most personal injury claims are typically resolved outside of court and often end in an agreed settlement. With the settlement comes an agreement to not pursue the court case any further.
- Trial. Once a personal injury case makes it to trial, the judge or the jury will examine all of the evidence, each party will have a chance to dispute, and it will be determined if the defendant should be held responsible for the injuries sustained during an accident.
- Payment. If your case wins, you may collect monetary damages. This phase of the timeline can also be very lengthy because many people cannot afford to pay for all of the damages at once. If a lump sum isn’t all paid, then even more paperwork may be involved and other legal processes such as garnishments may occur.
- Appeals. An appeal is a review of the trial court’s application of the law. There is not a jury present during an appeal, only judges, and sometimes as many as three. During the appeals process, it can be determined that the initial case wasn’t executed properly and it may be reversed.
For more information, take a look at our personal injury lawyer videos.
The Law Office of Ross W. Albers has years of experience resolving complex Maryland personal injury cases. We represent those who have been injured by someone else’s negligence and whose personal injuries have caused them physical pain, stress, medical bills, and other damages. We care about the future of our clients and work hard to see that each of them receives the most positive outcome in their personal injury case.
Our fee is contingent on there being a recovery in your case.
Call 443-457-3890 to schedule a free home consultation. Weekend appointments are available and if you are injured and cannot travel, we will come to you.