That car insurance claims process baffles nearly everyone. Most people only file a claim every eight to 10 years.
So, how do car insurance companies handle auto accident claims?
Immediately After the Accident
First, let your insurance company know you were in an accident and provide all the specifics. From the second of the accident, keep good records. Write down the time, date, plate number, make and model of their car, their registration information, license number, name, insurance company and contact information.
If the police are on the scene take their names and badge numbers, ask for an exchange of information, and police report. Also, get the names of any witnesses.
Photos are very helpful. Take pictures of the cars.
Filing Your Claim
It’s standard for your insurance carrier to call soon after you report an accident. During that call, they’ll match the person to their policy, determine what happened in the accident, find out about any injuries, the extent of damage to both vehicles and get some demographic information.
After a claim is filed, your insurance company assigns you a claims adjustor, who is your contact from then on. Adjustors look at medical reports, investigate the accident, speak with witnesses, view the scene, examine the vehicle damage, manage all the repairs and any medical treatments, check coverages and ultimately determine fault.
Who’s at Fault?
Liability is not a simple matter. If one driver is 100% at fault, it’s much simpler.
However, in Maryland, contributory negligence governs liability. The law is extremely unfair. Here, if you are 1% at fault for the accident and the other party is 99% at fault, then you lose and receive nothing for your injuries, pain, suffering, and inconvenience.Zero.
When an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver Hits You
It may come as a surprise, but the process doesn’t change much when uninsured or underinsured drivers are involved.
When a driver is underinsured, your insurance company covers your claim in excess of the other person’s policy.
When a driver is uninsured, your insurance company covers your entire claim.
What You Need To Know
It’s important to know the steps to take so that everything will go smoothly in the claims process. The Law Office of Ross W. Albers has years of experience resolving Maryland personal injury cases. We represent those who have been injured by someone else’s negligence and whose personal injuries have caused them physical pain, stress, medical bills, and other damages. We care about the future of our clients and work hard to see that each of them receives the most positive outcome in their personal injury case. Our fee is contingent on there being a recovery in your case.