Rated on Google

Enforcement of Separation/Divorce Agreements

When a couple separates, it is difficult both emotionally and legally.  One of the most contentious aspects of a separation is the division of the jointly-owned property.

What to do with the marital home?

As the separation/divorce proceeds, the couple will begin to divide all of their property. Often, the couple will execute a separation/divorce agreement, explicitly declaring the ownership (and terms thereof) of certain large items, such as the marital home or car.

A properly-drafted separation/divorce agreement will identify the owner of a particular item and clearly state the terms of any agreement to purchase the ex-spouses interest in an item.  For example, a separation agreement may state: “On or before December 31, 2018, Husband shall pay Wife $100,000.00 in exchange for Wife’s ½ interest in their jointly-owned property located at…”  Here, the agreement clearly states that the ex-husband has until December 31, 2018 to pay his ex-wife $100,000.00 to buy her out of their marital home.

If the ex-husband in the above-example fails to pay his ex-wife $100,000.00 by December 31, 2018, then he is in breach of contract and the wife may choose to initiate legal proceedings.   There are many options that the ex-wife would have. If negotiations have failed, or are unlikely to be of any benefit, the ex-wife may choose to sue for specific performance of the separation agreement.  If the ex-husband is financially unable to pay, the ex-wife may seek to have the property sold by a court-appointed trustee. Upon the sale of the property, she could collect the $100,000.00 owed to her under the separation agreement.

Schedule a consultation today

As is usually the case, the specific facts of each case determine the best plan of action.  If you have any questions concerning a separation/divorce agreement or any other type of agreement, please contact Ryan Lewis at the Law Offices of Ross W. Albers, LLC.

Get Expert Legal Help

View Areas Served

Baltimore County Attorney: Arbutus (21227), Catonsville (21228, 21250), Cockeysville (21030, 21031, 21065), Dundalk (21222), Edgemere (21219), Essex (21221), Garrison (21055), Lansdowne (21227), Lochearn (21207), Lutherville (21093), Middle River (21220), Milford Mill (21244), Overlea (21236), Owings Mills (21117), Parkville (21234), Park Heights (21215), Pikesville (21208), Randallstown (21133), Reisterstown (21136), Rosedale (21237), Timonium (21093), Towson (21204), White Marsh (21162), Woodlawn (21207), and more.

Carroll County Attorney: Eldersburg (21784), Finksburg (21048), Hampstead (21074), Manchester (21102), Marriottsville (21104), Taneytown (21787), Union Bridge (21791), Westminster (21157, 21158), Mount Airy (21771), New Windsor (21776), Sykesville (21784), Woodbine (21797), Taneytown (21787), and more.

Harford County Attorney: Aberdeen (21001), Abingdon (21009), Bel Air (21014, 21015), Darlington (21034), Edgewood (21040), Forest Hill (21050), Jarrettsville (21084), Joppa (21085), Pylesville (21132), Whiteford (21160), White Hall (21161)

Howard County Attorney: Clarksville (21029), Columbia (21044), Cooksville (21723), Dorsey (21075), Elkridge (21075), Ellicott City (21043), Fulton (20759), Glenelg (21737), Glenwood (21738), Granite (21163), Hanover (21076), Highland (20777), Jessup (20794), Lisbon (21765), Marriottsville (21104), North Laurel (20723), West Friendship (21794), Woodbine (21797), Woodstock (21163), and more.

Montgomery County Attorney: Olney (20832), Damascus (20872), Laytonsville (20882), Silver Spring (20910), Clarksburg (20871), Gaithersburg (20878), Germantown (20876), Bethesda (20816), Chevy Chase (20815), and more.