Have you been mistreated or threatened by someone? Do you believe that your safety is in jeopardy? Are you unsure of whether or not filing a protective order is the right choice? Albers & Associates is here to help walk you through your next steps and get you the protection you need to feel safe.
What is a Protective Order?
A protective order is a civil, judge-issued order that instructs a person from committing specific acts against others. There are commonly two parties involved in a protective order:
a) Petitioner – the person who is seeking protection
b) Respondent – the person who is alleged to have committed the prohibited act
At its simplest, a protective order exists to protect a victim from an alleged abuser.
Am I Eligible for a Protective Order?
Not just anyone in any situation can get an order of protection against someone else. You must be able to prove that your claim involves one of the following from each of the two sections below:
Criteria #1: Abuse Has Occurred
The following count as abuse in relation to granting a protective order in Towson, MD:
- An act that places a person in fear of imminent serious bodily harm (including threats)
- An act that causes serious bodily
- Sexual assault or rape
- Attempted sexual assault or rape
- False imprisonment
- Mental injury to a child
Criteria #2: Relation to Abuser
In order to be eligible to file for a protective order, the petitioner must be:
- A former or current spouse of the abuser.
- A person who has a child with the abuser.
- A person related by marriage, adoption, or blood to the abuser.
- A person who has had a sexual relationship with the abuser within a year before filing.
- A cohabitant of the abuser who is both engaging in a sexual relationship with the abuser and has lived with the abuser in the home for at least 90 days within one year before filing.
- A parent, step-parent, or step-child that has lived with the abuser in the home for at least 90 days within one year before filing.
- A vulnerable adult.
Get a Protective Order in Towson, MD
Have you been the victim of abuse and need a protective order? You don’t have to go at it alone. The attorneys at Albers & Associates can provide the legal guidance you need to get a protective order. We are here to advocate for your safety and well-being, and we will do all that we can to ensure you are protected from harm. Contact us today to set up your free legal consultation.